I use to hate this time of year for one very vain reason.
It would be so stressful for me because I loved food so much but I was so mentally messed up from years of dieting that I couldn’t enjoy it.
I believed, that if I get off track at all, that I will fall off, lose my abs, all my hard work and have to start all over again. Because that is what happen to me for yearssss on my journey.
I was so sick of feeling this way because it was my absolute favorite time of the year. I have loved the Holidays since I was a child. Being able to decorate, make cookies, hang with family, eating amazing food and just enjoy.
I wanted to feel excited again…
I wanted to enjoy and not be filled with shame again…
So I made a commitment to myself.
I WILL ENJOY THE HOLIDAYS AGAIN!
I knew I had to focus on my mindset about the food around the Holidays. So what I decided to switch was just enjoy. Stop stressing so much. Stop overthinking. Set myself up for success. So that is exactly what I did.
And you may be wondering… How do I set myself up for success?
My steps to success:
- Don’t commit to a diet. So many people give up on themselves during the Holidays because they will just diet on January 1st. This will screw you up big time because it will be a free for all until January and then you’ll be pissed you gained an extra 10lbs. Find a balance of healthy food and still enjoy the Holiday treats. Don’t restrict yourself.
- Make a healthy snack. If you know that you are going somewhere with no healthy food and you want a healthy treat before your Holiday meal, make one. Be the change! You can make something healthy and yummy that everyone will enjoy.
- Eat your protein first! This was a game-changer when it came to celebrations and Holidays for me. I use to always start with my beloved mashed potatoes and get too full, bloated and tired then I was miserable all day. So I started eating my turkey first then vegetables and end with my beloved carbs. It’s always the perfect amount of balanced foods and end up feeling amazing.
- Drink your water! I know there are lots of other yummy drinks to choose from but stay on top of your water. This helps with false hunger, cravings and helps keep your system going so even between those yummy drinks, drink your water.
- Get active. Even if it’s a quick 10-minute workout in the morning or before bed. Just get it done. You’ll feel good, digest that food and burn some extra calories.
These are all the steps I took to thrive during the Holiday Season. They are simple just like health and fitness should be. Go enjoy. Don’t beat yourself up.